Brown, CathleenNational Museum of Natural History staff
I have vast experience working on granitic pegmatites and have visited over 100 of them. I have conducted geochemical and petrographical research on granitic pegmatites in California, Maine, North Carolina and Virginia.
Education And Training
- Wise, Michael A. and Brown, Cathleen D. 2019. "Cathodoluminescence (CL) microscopy – a technique for understanding the dynamics of pegmatite crystallization." The Canadian Mineralogist, 57, (5) 821–823. https://doi.org/10.3749/canmin.AB00030. 2019
- Wise, Michael A. and Brown, Cathleen D. 2011. "Chemical composition of coexisting columbite-group minerals and cassiterite from the Black Mountain pegmatite, Maine." European Journal of Mineralogy, 23, (5) 817–828. https://doi.org/10.1127/0935-1221/2011/0023-2102. 2011
- Wise, Michael A. and Brown, Cathleen D. 2010. "Mineral chemistry, petrology and geochemistry of the Sebago granite-pegmatite system, southern Maine, USA." Journal of Geosciences, 55, (1) 3–26. https://doi.org/10.3190/jgeosci.061. 2010
Responsible Collections Areas
- National Rock and Ore Collection, Smithsonian Institution
- Was co-leader in several "PEGCAMPS" in Maine, Colorado and Southern California. Pegcamps are a one week, intensive field camp to instruct students on aspects of pegmatite mineralogy, petrology, formation, field identification and exploration.
- National Museum of Natural History Academic Department