Evenhaugen, Anne C.
Librarian, American Art and Portrait Gallery Library
Areas of interest: American art history, 20th century modern and contemporary art, Artists' Books, Fluxus, concrete poetry, Scandinavian design.
Areas of expertise: research methods, art historical reference assistance.
Education And Training
International Audience Summary Of Expertise
- Anne is the head librarian for the Smithsonian’s American Art and Portrait Gallery Library, which specializes in American art, history and biography. Her background has been primarily in art museums and libraries and caring for collections. Evenhaugen manages the day-to-day operations of the research library, which contains over 180,000 volumes, including rare and unique books and a large ephemera collection. She also supervises acquisitions and special projects in support of the mission of the American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery. With her particular interest in art and artists’ books, Evenhaugen was central in the effort to make the Smithsonian’s large collection of artists’ books more searchable online. She holds degrees in art history, library science and art curation from Mary Washington College, the University of Maryland and Stockholm University in Sweden, where she curated her first large show, “Reading the Object,” at Moderna Museet in 2011. Read more . . .
- Evenhaugen, Anne C. and White, Tony. 2021. "Haptic Aesthetics: Artists' Books in Art Museum Libraries." In The New Art Museum Library. Nelson, Amelia and Timmons, Traci E., editors. 31–43. Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield. 2021
- Evenhaugen, Anne. 2016. [Book review] "American Faces: A Cultural History of Portraiture and Identity." ARLIS/NA Reviews, November, 2016
- Evenhaugen, Anne, Harkness, Shaina Buckles, Huftalen, Alison, Lovenjack, Nicole, and Wasserman, Mary. 2017. State of Art Museum Libraries 2016. 2017
- Evenhaugen, Anne and Reigle, Alexandra. 2019. Better to Receive? Approaches to Building, Managing, and Promoting Artist Files Collections. [presentation]. ARLIS/NA 47th Annual Conference, March 28, 2019. Salt Lake City, UT.
- Evenhaugen, Anne C. 2022. Working toward a Wikibase: Smithsonian Libraries Arts Wikidata Projects [presentation]. ARLIS/NA Annual Conference, April 8, 2022. Chicago, Illinois: Smithsonian.
- Smithsonian Libraries and Archives Department