Dr. Hammock belongs to the Research Informatics Group at the National Museum of Natural History. As the project manager of the Encyclopedia of Life, (https://eol.org/) she liaises with contributors of biodiversity data, and also with data users in the research community as well as formal and informal education and citizen science.
Education And Training
- Ph.D. in Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution , Biological Oceanography, Thesis: Structure, function and context : the impact of morphometry and ecology on olfactory sensitivity 1998 - 2005
- B.S. in Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology , Chemistry, Minor: Writing 1994 - 1998
- Jen was trained as a chemist and a biologist before she entered the world of open data for biodiversity science. A good deal of her background is in marine biology and she still loves to SCUBA dive.
Co-principal Investigator On
- Open Science principles for accelerating trait-based science across the Tree of Life. Nature Ecology & Evolution. 294-303. 2020
- 20 GB in 10 minutes: a case for linking major biodiversity databases using an open socio-technical infrastructure and a pragmatic, cross-institutional collaboration. PeerJ. 4. 2018
- Parr, Cynthia Sims, Schulz, Katja S., Hammock, Jennifer, Wilson, Nathan, Leary, Patrick, Rice, Jeremy, and Corrigan, Robert J., Jr. 2016. "TraitBank: Practical semantics for organism attribute data." Semantic Web, 7, (6) 577–588. https://doi.org/10.3233/SW-150190. 2016
- ENVIRONMENTS and EOL: identification of Environment Ontology terms in text and the annotation of the Encyclopedia of Life. Bioinformatics. 31:1872-1874. 2015
- Parr, Cynthia Sims, Wilson, Nathan, Leary, Patrick, Schulz, Katja, Lans, Kristen, Walley, Lisa, Hammock, Jennifer, Goddard, Anthony, Rice, Jeremy, Studer, Marie, Holmes, Jeffrey, and Corrigan, Robert, Jr. 2014. "The Encyclopedia of Life v2: Providing Global Access to Knowledge About Life on Earth." Biodiversity Data Journal, 2 e1079. https://doi.org/10.3897/BDJ.2.e1079. 2014
- Dynamic Changes in Motivation in Collaborative Citizen-Science Projects 2012
- D'Amico, Angela, Gisiner, Robert C., Ketten, Darlene R., Hammock, Jennifer A., Johnson, Chip, Tyack, Peter L., and Mead, James G. 2009. "Beaked Whale Strandings and Naval Exercises." Aquatic Mammals, 35, (4) 452–472. https://doi.org/10.1578/AM.35.4.2009.452. 2009
- Discovery and characterization of chemical signals for citrus root weevil, Diaprepes abbreviatus. Arthropod-Plant Interactions. 3:63-73. 2009
- National Museum of Natural History Academic Department