U.S. postal operations history; military mail history; letter writing culture; business history; tourism and tourist industry history.
Education And Training
Lynn Heidelbaugh, curator at the Smithsonian’s National Postal Museum, specializes in collections and research on the history of the U.S. Postal Service, military mail, letters and letter writing culture, as well as business and tourism history. Ms. Heidelbaugh received her Master of Arts from The George Washington University’s Department of American Studies and her bachelor’s degree from Bryn Mawr College in History. She received a 2013 Secretary’s Award for Excellence for Collaborative Spirit as team member for the pan-institutional initiative and essay contribution to the book, Smithsonian Civil War: Inside the National Collection. She has served as lead curator for temporary and long-term exhibitions, including: “In Her Words: Women’s Duty and Service in World War I” (February–August 2018), “My Fellow Soldiers: Letters from World War I” (April 2017–November 2018), “Behind the Badge: The U.S. Postal Inspection Service” (June 2014–indefinite), “Mail Call” (November 2011–indefinite), “Victory Mail” (March 2008–November 2011), and “War Letters: Lost and Found” (November 2005–November 2006). In coordination with the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Services, she developed a version of the “Mail Call” exhibition that traveled to more than 20 venues in the U.S. between November 2012 and autumn 2018.
- Military Mail. Every Stamp Tells a Story: The National Philatelic Collection. 81-85. 2014
- Heidelbaugh, Lynn. 2018. "Join the Navy: Yeoman (F) Ruth (Woodworth) Creveling." Pushing the Envelope https://postalmuseumblog.si.edu/2018/07/join-the-navy-yeoman-f-ruth-woodworth-creveling.html. 2018
- Heidelbaugh, Lynn and Paone, Thomas. 2022. Between Home and the Front Civil War Letters of the Walters Family. Bloomington: Indiana University Press. https://doi.org/10.2307/j.ctv2kt2g41. 2022
- Heidelbaugh, Lynn. 2014. "Military Mail." In Every Stamp Tells a Story: The National Philatelic Collection. Ganz, Cheryl R. and Sheahan, M. T., editors. 81–87. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Scholarly Press. 2014
- Heidelbaugh, Lynn. 2013. "Letters Home." In Smithsonian Civil War: Inside the National Collection. Kagan, Neil and Hyslop, Stephen G., editors. 174–177. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Books. 2013
Responsible Collections Areas
- U.S. postal operations; military mail; letters; letter writing material culture
- National Postal Museum Department