Ickes, Charlotte J.
Curator of Time-Based Media Art and Special Projects
Education And Training
Charlotte Ickes is an art historian and curator of time-based media art and special projects at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C. Previously the Andrew W. Mellon Postdoctoral Curatorial Fellow at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, she has held fellowship appointments at the Whitney Independent Study Program, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and the Institute of Contemporary Art (Philadelphia).
Ickes has curated and co-curated exhibitions and public programs at multiple institutions and cultural spaces, including the Institute of Contemporary Art (Philadelphia), Slought, the Studio Museum in Harlem, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Anthology Film Archives, and the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago. Ickes received her BA from Yale University and her PhD from the University of Pennsylvania.
Her writing has appeared in American Art, Women & Performance: A Journal of Feminist Theory, and several exhibition catalogues, including Descent (2016), Ginny Casey & Jessi Reaves (2017), and Anna Kunz: Color Cast (forthcoming).
- Ickes, Charlotte and Moss, Dorothy. 2020. "Artist Maren Hassinger Has Spent Her Entire Career Mediating the Current Moment." Smithsonian Magazine, Sep 9, 2020, Washington, DC. 2020
- Ickes, Charlotte and Vaughn, Jessica. 2020. "Local Geographies: Jessica Vaughn Interviewed by Charlotte Ickes." BOMB Magazine, Jan 14, 2020, 2020
- Ickes, Charlotte. 2015. "The Sartorial and the Skin: Portraits of Pocahontas and Allegories of English Empire." American Art, 29, (1) 82–105. https://doi.org/10.1086/681656. 2015
- Ickes, Charlotte. 2014. "Sonic stitches: Isaac Julien, his mother, and her "Creolized" sound." Women & Performance: a journal of feminist theory, 24, (2-3) 258–262. https://doi.org/10.1080/0740770X.2014.976504. 2014
- Ickes, Charlotte and Bryan-Wilson, Julia. 2018. Ginny Casey and Jessi Reaves [Exhibition catalog] Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Institute of Contemporary Art. 2018
- Ickes, Charlotte, Bradley, Rizvana, and Philip, M. Nourbese. 2016. Descent [Exhibition catalog] Edited by Ickes, Charlotte. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Institute of Contemorary Art. 2016
- Ickes, Charlotte, Galperina, Lena, Stevenson, Don Allen,III, and Stern, Susannah. 2021. Art as Experience: The Approachability and Equitability of Experiential Digital Art [presentation]. ArtTable Faith Flanagan Fellowship Program, June 25, 2021.
- Ickes, Charlotte. 2020. Conservation Study Day: Simone Forti's Movements/Crawl Sit [presentation]. October 22, 2020.
- Ickes, Charlotte. 2021. Guest teaching graduate seminar as part of University of Colorado Boulder Visiting Scholar Program [presentation]. April 6, 2021.
- Ickes, Charlotte J. 2021. Joan Jonas: On the Inner Worlds of Video [presentation]. February 4, 2021. Viewfinder.
- Ickes, Charlotte. 2020. Legacy, Power-Building, and the Future of Portraiture [presentation]. December 10, 2020. Online.
- Ickes, Charlotte J. 2020. Maren Hassinger: Birthright [presentation]. October 7, 2020.
- Ickes, Charlotte J. 2021. Panel chair, "Mentors and Organizers" [presentation]. Feminist Art History Conference, September 25, 2021. National Gallery of Art and American University.
- Ickes, Charlotte. 2019. Tour for MCA Women's Board [presentation]. October 4, 2019.
- Ickes, Charlotte. 2019. Tour for Power Plant Group [presentation]. November 19, 2019.
- Ickes, Charlotte. 2019. Tour for Ricardo Ernst/ Fundación Botin [presentation]. October 29, 2019.
- National Portrait Gallery Department