Ickes, Charlotte J.
Curator of Time-Based Media Art and Special Projects
Education And Training
Charlotte Ickes is an art historian and curator of time-based media art and special projects at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C. Previously the Andrew W. Mellon Postdoctoral Curatorial Fellow at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, she has held fellowship appointments at the Whitney Independent Study Program, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and the Institute of Contemporary Art (Philadelphia).
Ickes has curated and co-curated exhibitions and public programs at multiple institutions and cultural spaces, including the Institute of Contemporary Art (Philadelphia), Slought, the Studio Museum in Harlem, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Anthology Film Archives, and the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago. Ickes received her BA from Yale University and her PhD from the University of Pennsylvania.
Her writing has appeared in American Art, Women & Performance: A Journal of Feminist Theory, and several exhibition catalogues, including Descent (2016), Ginny Casey & Jessi Reaves (2017), and Anna Kunz: Color Cast (forthcoming).
- Ickes, Charlotte and Moss, Dorothy. 2020. "Artist Maren Hassinger Has Spent Her Entire Career Mediating the Current Moment." Smithsonian Magazine, Sep 9, 2020, Washington, DC. 2020
- Ickes, Charlotte and Vaughn, Jessica. 2020. "Local Geographies: Jessica Vaughn Interviewed by Charlotte Ickes." BOMB Magazine, Jan 14, 2020, 2020
- Ickes, Charlotte. 2015. "The Sartorial and the Skin: Portraits of Pocahontas and Allegories of English Empire." American Art, 29, (1) 82–105. https://doi.org/10.1086/681656. 2015
- Ickes, Charlotte. 2014. "Sonic stitches: Isaac Julien, his mother, and her "Creolized" sound." Women & Performance: a journal of feminist theory, 24, (2-3) 258–262. https://doi.org/10.1080/0740770X.2014.976504. 2014
- Ickes, Charlotte and Bryan-Wilson, Julia. 2018. Ginny Casey and Jessi Reaves [Exhibition catalog] Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Institute of Contemporary Art. 2018
- Ickes, Charlotte, Bradley, Rizvana, and Philip, M. Nourbese. 2016. Descent [Exhibition catalog] Edited by Ickes, Charlotte. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Institute of Contemorary Art. 2016
- National Portrait Gallery Department