Kapsalis, Effie (1971-2022)
Former Digital Program Officer
Digital strategist with 20+ years experience in the non-profit, cultural heritage, and corporate sectors.
Specialties: Digital strategy, human-centered design, open cultural heritage, project management, blogging, social media, audience research & engagement, metrics and evaluation, storyboarding, writing, research, UX, and information architecture.
- Adjunct Professor, George Washington University 2016 -
- Senior Digital Program Officer, Office of the Undersecretary for Museums and Culture 2018 -
- Chief of Content and Communications Strategy, Smithsonian Institution Archives 2016 - 2018
- Head of Web, New Media & Outreach, Smithsonian Institution Archives 2009 - 2016
- Senior Digital Producer, Smithsonian Photography Initiative 2005 - 2009
- Project Manager, UX Designer, Content Developer, Cognitive Arts 1995 - 2001
Education And Training
Awards And Honors
- Kapsalis, Effie. 2016. "Making History with Crowdsourcing." Collections 12 (2):187-198. https://doi.org/10.1177/155019061601200211 2016
- Kalfatovic, Martin R., Kapsalis, Effie, Edson, Michael, Van Camp, Anne, and Spiess, Katherine P. 2009. "Smithsonian Team Flickr: a library, archives, and museums collaboration in web 2.0 space." Archive Science, 8, (4) 267–277. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10502-009-9089-y. 2009
- Kapsalis, Effie F. 2016. [Report] The Impact of Open Access on Galleries, Libraries, Archives, & Museums. https://siarchives.si.edu/sites/default/files/pdfs/2016_03_10_OpenCollections_Public.pdf. 2016
- Adjunct Professor in the George Washington University's Museum Studies Program