Background And Education
Education And Training
- M.A. in Visual Communications, Ohio University , School of Visual Communications, Masters Project Consumed: Looking at America through the Prism of Fast Food Consumption (in collections of Smithsonian National Museum of American History, Library of Congress) 2004 - 2009
Awards And Honors
- American Photograpny, conferred by American Photograpny, 2018
- Peter S. Reed Foundation Award, conferred by Peter S. Reed Foundation, 2018
- Artist Fellowship Award, conferred by D.C. Commission on The Arts and Humanities, 2018
Susana Raab was born in Lima, Peru and raised throughout the United States. She is a fine-art and documentary photographer based out of Washington, DC, pursuing photographic projects like her long-term documentation of the east of the Anacostia River communities in D.C. in addition to working as the photographer of the Smithsonian Anacostia Community Museum.
Susana’s work has been exhibited internationally and nationally, at venues including: the Corcoran Museum of Art, the Museo de Arte Contemporaneo in Madrid, the Pingyao Photo Festival, Noorderlicht Fotofestival in the Netherlands, and the Art Museum of the Americas in Washington, DC.
Susana has been the recipient of the White House News Photographers’ Project Grant, DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities Artist Fellowships, Honorable Mentions in Center’s Project Competition and Curator’s Choice Awards, and a Puffin Grant, among others. Her work is held in the collection of the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of American History; The Library of Congress, Division of Prints & Photographs; The Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library at Yale University; The Art Museum of the Americas; The Capital One Collection in Tyson's Corner; and the D.C. Public Art Bank.
She received her MA in Visual Communications at Ohio University and holds a BA in English Literature from James Madison University.
- Susana Raab 2018
- Celebrating Good Friday at Shrine of the Sacred Heart, Columbia Heights, DC 2018
- Public Housing, Urban Development in Byker by Sirkka-Liisa Konttinen at the Anacostia Community Museum Library 2017
- ACM Martin Luther King Program featuring Kica Matos 2015
- Inside a Barry Farm home with ACM Research & Collections Department 2015
- Susana Raab. 8-12. 2017
- La Vendedor de los inflatables. 258-259. 2015
- Consumed. 168-179. 2014
- "Susana Raab.". 109-119. 2013
- "Susana Raab.". 32-35. 2011
- Susana Raab. 28-36. 2010
- The Holyland Experience (United States 2005). 37-38. 2007
Information Content Entity
- Ureña, Leslie, Farmer, Sharon, MacDonnell, Kate, Raab, Susana, and Gordon, Sarah. 2021. Our City, Ourselves: Women Photograph Washington [presentation]. March 30, 2021. 2021
Has Knowledge Of
- photography Technique
- Anacostia Community Museum Department