As the Preservation Coordinator for the Smithsonian Libraries and Archives (SLA) in Washington, DC, Alison oversees all preservation-related activities, which include collection need and risk assessment, preventive conservation tasks (such as environmental and pest management), budgeting and procurement, and long-term preservation strategies and initiatives. Since coming to the Archives in 2015, Alison has led a pan-institutional audiovisual survey and an audiovisual preservation readiness assessment for eleven participating Smithsonian units. She is now the Head of the Audiovisual Media Preservation Initiative (AVMPI) to catalog, digitize, and share SI's audiovisual collections. Alison also serves as a member of the Smithsonian's Preparedness and Response in Collections Emergencies (PRICE) team, focusing on logistic-related needs across SI.
Education And Training
Awards And Honors
- Reppert Gerber, Alison R. 2022. "Case A: A Pan-Institutional Approach to Audiovisual Collection Inventories." In Inventorying Cultural Heritage Collections: A Guide for Museums and Historical Societies. Vanderwarf, Sandra and Romanowski, Bethany, editors. Washington, DC: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. 2022
- Hix, Kelli, Reppert Gerber, Alison, and Sobers, Kira. 2017. Pan-Institutional Audiovisual Collections Survey. Smithsonian Institution. 2017
- Reppert Gerber, Alison R. and Sobers, Kira. 2020. Using Data to Advocate for the Preservation of Audiovisual Collections [presentation]. June 3, 2020. Works in Progress. OCLC.
- Reppert Gerber, Alison R. 2022. What Lives in Your Collections? [presentation]. May 25, 2022. Smithsonian 175th Film Fest. Zoom: Smithsonian Libraries and Archives.
- Smithsonian Libraries and Archives Department