Former Museum Curator
History of modern physical sciences and the organization of American science; history of space exploration; Apollo spacecraft and associated artifacts.
- Science, Cold War and the American State: Lloyd V. Berkner and the Balance of Professional Ideals. Harwood Academic Press. 2000
- Needell, Allan A. 2019. "National and International Expositions and the Origins of the National Apollo 11 Artifacts Collection." In Behind the Exhibit Displaying Science and Technology at World's Fairs and Museums in the Twentieth Century. Canadelli, Elena, Beretta, Marco, Ronzon, Laura, and Collins, Martin J., editors. 203–220. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Scholarly Press. In Artefacts: Studies in the History of Science and Technology, 12. (https://doi.org/10.5479/si.9781944466237) 2019
- Needell, Allan A. 2015. "Skylab Tool Kit #2." In Tools: Extending Our Reach. McCarty, Cara and McQuaid, Matilda, editors. 214–215. New York: Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum. 2015
- Needell, Allan A. and Hollins, Hunter. 2014. "Lunar Module, LM-2." In Milestones of Space: Eleven Iconic Objects from the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. Neufeld, Michael J., editor. 65–77. Minneapolis: Zenith Press. 2014
- National Air & Space Museum Academic Department