I have a B.S. in Biology with specialization in Zoology from the University of Panama. And Third Cycle Doctor in Oceanology (Ph. D.) from the University of Aix-Marseille II, in France.
I have been high school teacher at the Ministry of Education in Panama, and researcher at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, with Dr. Jeremy Jackson.
During these last 25 years I have worked on bryozoans from the Caribbean and Tropical Eastern Pacific, doing what I like most: Research in Ecology, Taxonomy and Evolution. And currently, I am Research Associate at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute
- Research Associate, Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute 2012 - 2020
- Research Project Scientist, Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute 1999 - 2012
- Biology Technician, Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute 1990 - 1998
- Research Assistant, Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute 1986 - 1990
- Caribbean, tropical Eastern Pacific Geographic Region
Background And Education
Education And Training
- Ph.D. in Oceanology, Universite Aix Marseille II , Oceanology, Etudes morphologiques et bio-ecologiques des Copepodes parasites de quelques poissons marins des cotes languedociennes 1980 - 1986
- B.S. in Biology, University of Panama , Biology School, Inventario y analisis ecologico de algunos parasitos de peces comerciales, del Pacifico de Panama 1972 - 1978
I have a B.S. in Biology with specialization in Zoology from the University of Panama, in which I also obtained a certificate for teaching at high school. Later I obtained a Doctorate of Third Cycle (Ph.D.) in Oceanology at the University of Aix Marseille II, France.
My bachelor's and doctoral theses focused on applied biology (aquaculture and fishing). And although I taught at the University of Panama and at public high schools, most of my professional life was developed at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, studying and learning about marine bryozoans from both coasts of the Isthmus of Panama.
Thereby, I studied their taxonomy by examining the morphology of the exoskeleton and the fleshy parts. The ecology, investigating their distribution and abundance along the coasts and intertidal zones of Panama. The natural history doing experiments on breeding: to study growth, survival and cross-fertilization, with the most abundant species found on the Caribbean reefs. And the evolution using morphometric characters to discriminate the species of recent and fossil cupuladriids, and to analyze their phylogenetic relationships. The specimens used in this work had ages between early Miocene to Recent, and were distributed from the Caribbean to the eastern tropical Pacific.
I have recently completed the curation of 22 dredging collections and 11 in intertidal zones made in coastal and insular areas of the gulfs of Panama and Chiriqui, between 1986 and 1996. And together with STRI OIT, we have put on line the Database: The Bryozoan from the Pacific. Currently I am working on the description of the new species.
Awards And Honors
- Postgraduate scholarship, conferred by Government of the French Republic, 1980 - 1985
- University scholarship, conferred by National Goverment of Panama, 1972 - 1978
Research And Grants
- Filogenia del gÃ©nero Cupuladria (Bryozoa: Cheilostomata) en el Neogeno de la AmÃ©rica Tropical. 2010
- Senacyt Programa de Fomento a las Actividades de Ciencia y Tecnologia 2010
- Natural History Collections Keys for the Study of Biodiversity and Ecology of Recent Cheilostome Bryozoans from the Pacific Coast of Panama awarded by Senacyt
Other Research Activities
- Geographic variation in environments and extinctions in the Caribbean Research Project Scientist 2009 - 2011
- Tracing molecular and morphological evolution in tropical American cupuladriids bryozoans Research Project Scientist 2009 - 2011
- Filogenia del gÃ©nero Cupuladria (Bryozoa: Cheilostomata) en el Neogeno de la AmÃ©rica Tropical. Principal Investigator 2010
- Evolution and Environment of Tropical American Cupuladriid Bryozoa Research Project Scientist 2004 - 2007
- Impact of Gateways on ocean Circulation, Climate and Evolution Consultant 2004 - 2007
- Molecular Phylogeny of Tropical American Cupuladriid Bryozoans Consultant 1999 - 2000
- Simpson, Carl, Herrera-Cubilla, Amalia, and Jackson, Jeremy B. C. 2020. "How colonial animals evolve." Science Advances, 6, (2) Article eaaw9530. https://doi.org/10.1126/sciadv.aaw9530. 2024
- Simpson, Carl, Jackson, Jeremy B. C., and Herrera-Cubilla, Amalia. 2017. "Evolutionary Determinants of Morphological Polymorphism in Colonial Animals." American Naturalist, 190, (1) 17–28. https://doi.org/10.1086/691789. 2017
- Herrera-Cubilla, Amalia and Jackson, Jeremy B. C. 2014. "Phylogeny of Genus Cupuladria (Bryozoa, Cheilostomata) in the Neogene of Tropical America." Journal of Paleontology, 88, (5) 851–894. https://doi.org/10.1666/13-031. 2014
- Herrera-Cubilla, Amalia, Dick, M. H., Sanner, Jo Ann, and Jackson, Jeremy B. C. 2008. "Neogene Cupuladriidae of Tropical America. II: Taxonomy of Recent Discoporella from opposite side of the Isthmus of Panamá." Journal of Paleontology, 82, (2) 279–298. https://doi.org/10.1666/06-034.1. 2008
- Schäfer, Priska, Herrera-Cubilla, Amalia, and Bader, Beate. 2012. "Distribution and zoogeography of Cheilostome Bryozoa along the Pacific coast of Panama: comparison between the gulf of Panama and gulf of Chiriqui." In Bryozoan Studies 2010. Ernst, Andrej, Schäfer, Priska, and Scholz, Joachim, editors. 287–302. Berlin: Springer. In Lecture Notes in Earth Sciences. 2012
- Cortes, Jorge, Nielsen, Vanessa, and Herrera-Cubilla, Amalia. 2009. "Bryozoans." In Marine Biodiversity of Costa Rica, Central America. Wehrtmann, I. S. and Cortes, J., editors. 413–416. Springer Science Business Media B. V. 2009
- Herrera Cubilla, Amalia. 2016. Conservacion de Colecciones de Historia Natural Briozoos o "Animales Musgo". Panama, Republica de Panama: Secretaria Nacional de Ciencia, Tecnologia e Innovacion and STRI. 2016
- Herrera-Cubilla, Amalia. 2017. Bryozoans of The Pacific. Bryozoans of The Pacific. Apr 11, 2017 Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute. 2017
- Cheetham, Alan H., Sanner, Joann, Jackson, Jeremy B. C., Taylor, Paul D., Ventocilla, Yira, and Herrera-Cubilla, Amalia. 2010. Bryozoans. Neogene Marine Biota of Tropical America. University of Iowa. 2010
- Herrera-Cubilla, Amalia. 2004. Morphological description of the setae of four species of the family Cupuladriidae from both sides of the Isthmus of Panama [presentation]. 13th IBA Conference u6 Concepcion, Chile, January 16, 2004.
- Herrera-Cubilla, Amalia. 2004. Taxonomy of the genus Cupuladria from both sides of the Isthmus of Panama. I. Morphology and Systematics [presentation]. 13th IBA Conference u6 Concepcion, Chile, January 16, 2004.
- I was a biology trainer for first-year students at the University of Panama. And I teach basic sciences and biology at the Ministry of Education for high school students. From 1980 to 1985 I got a temporary work permit from the Ministry of Education to do the doctorate in France.
- Revista Ciencias Marinas y Costeras (Journal Article) 2013
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology (Journal Article) 2009
- Senacyt-Programa Fomento I+D 2005 y Fortalecimiento del Aprendisaje de Ciencias 2005 (Research Proposal) 2005
- Ministry of Education of Panama, Basic Sciences. Professor 1985
- Ministry of Education of Panama, Basic Sciences. Professor 1979 - 1984
- Ministry of Education, Biology. Assistant Professor 1978
- University of Panama Biology Training for first-year students Professor 1978
Organizer Of Event
Professional Service Activities
- 8th Coral Reef Symposium Professional and Technical Collaboration in the organization of the Scientific Program 1996
- International Bryozoology Association Council Member 1998-2004 1991 -
- Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute Department